gwl-g - [gwl-g] Use of DE products.

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Use of DE products.
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:35:43 -0400

Here is a comment I cut andpasted from Waltonfeed.com regarding the use of DE in various forms garnered from a Google search.

Good afternoon all. Diatomaceous earth is approved by the USDA as an animal feed additive, however I have found out that there are vast differences between various forms of diatomaceous earth. Some DE products may not be effective in controlling insects, while others may be harmful to humans and pets. The most important differences between individual forms of DE is the shape of the diatom, content of Crystalline Silica, and the purity of the Silica Dioxide. The World Health Organization cautions that DE with a crystalline silica content of three percent or higher is dangerous to humans, (and probably pets and birds as well). Diatomaceous Earth used in swimming pool filters has close to a 60% crystalline silica content. I know of a product called Organic Solutions (insecticide) which is approved by both the EPA and USDA and has a crystalline silica content ranging between 0.36% to 1.12% according to its labels etc. It is classified as Amorphous Fresh Water Diatomaceous Earth (whatever that means). However, all literature I have read assures it is safe for both humans and animals and seems to be very effective at killing insects. I stumbled across all this info. while shopping in the mall. If you're interested in reading it too, go to the Organic Solutions website at http://www.BuyOrgs.com. Hope this helps answer the question and always use environmentally safe products! Higgins10

Nancy Szerlag
Columnist for Detroit News