gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Organic or chemical future?????

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Organic or chemical future?????
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:20:12 -0400

When it comes to organics, lack of information for both the grower and the consumer is a huge problem.
Most consumers are yardeners, not gardeners, and all they care about is pretty and green. Jeff Ball and I have been teaching Master Gardener classes for several years and the Michigan reference book in current use touts only chemicals. The information from this book is the resource for hot lines etc. The contents are written by hort agents and the info is geared to growers, not the home gardener. Also, University studies are funded by chemical companies and the modus operandi is - here is what we want to say, design a study to prove it. When discussing remedies for problems in print or on the radio, hort agents recommend chemicals and do not give product names, much less options. Jeff and I believe this was a huge problem when the Emerald Ash Borer hit. Pity the poor ash tree owner who went into a big box and asked for a product containing Merit.

The Master Gardener Associations in our state do a great job promoting organics, but they don't reach the masses.

Resources for solid information on organic growing has dwindled to a dribble in the past decade. I think we should put together a list of resources we can pass on in articles, pass- outs, blogs, etc.

Nancy Szerlag

Nancy Szerlag
Columnist for Detroit News
szerlag@earthlink.net