gmark - Re: Sleeping Disciples

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sleeping Disciples
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:55:20 EDT

or "tempt," I've revised one of the paragraphs in my article, "The Sleeping
Disciples," at http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/Sleeping_Disciples.htm

Revised paragraph:

In Mark's sleeping disciples parable above, the disciples are cautioned by
Jesus that while they intend to serve him well (the spirit is willing), their
need for rest (the body is weak) might tempt (peirasmos) them to close their
heavy eyes and fall asleep. Some commentators read peirasmos as a "test, "
or "trial." Either way, Mark 14:38 means the same thing: Jesus is warning
the disciples about the contest between the will of the body to close its
eyes, and the will of the mind to remain awake. Thus, with either meaning of
the word "peirasmos," Jesus is telling the disciples to pray that they do not
fail the body's test, and close their eyes--in other words, succumb to the
temptation to close their eyes.

Joseph F. Alward, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics
University of the Pacific
Stockton CA 95201
Web page: "A Skeptical View of Christianity and the Bible"
http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html