gmark - Re: PEIRASMOS =temptation"?

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Sid Martin" <smartin6 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: PEIRASMOS =temptation"?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:42:30 -0500

Forgive me for being a little confused but doesn't "temptation" simply mean
"testing" or "trying" in a moral sense? A person's character is "tested" or
"tried" when one is faced with a choice between what is morally right and
what is personally appealing. One is "tempted" to do what is easier or more
profitable or more sensually satisfying. One passes the "test" or "trial"
when one refuses to give into "temptation," i.e., to fail the test by
choosing the lesser good or the greater evil. Without the "temptation"
there is no "test" so that in reality they are the same thing. Just as ore
may be assayed to see if it has the chemical composition of gold, so too a
person may be tested by temptation to see if he has the "right stuff." One
can also be tempted in a prudential sense by choosing immediate
gratification over a person's greater interests; breaking one's diet is a
good example.

In the context of Mark 14:38, the sense is clearly that the disciples are to
watch and pray and not give in to the temptation to sleep - the easier, more
satsfying course of conduct - rather than pass the fatigue test and stay
awake. Note God's Word, "Stay awake, and pray that you won't be tempted."
Many a soldier ordered to stand guard late at night has known what it is to
say that the soldier's spirit is willing to do his duty but the long day's
march has made his exhausted flesh too weak to watch. Indeed, Mark is very
likely alluding to this military model. Falling asleep at one's post would,
I am sure, be an instant death sentence in the Roman army.

Perhaps it would be helpful if Jeffrey would share with us his concern that
PEIRASMOS be rendered "trial" or "test" rather than "temptation" which, to
my mind, is at best a distinction without a difference, especially where the
context suggests that the test or trral of one of moral character, i.e.,
temptation. Jeffrey rests his case on the LXX **nisah** = a "test", a
"trial." Brown-Driver-Briggs (based on Gesenius) has as the third
definition "test, try prove, tempt [but not in modern sense of the word]."
Does anyone know what the "modern sense of the word" is, other than a test
of character?

If Joe is mistaken in his translation, it is a mistake that the majority of
translators make. See KJV, RSV, NKJV, NIV, NASB, NLT, ESV, KJ21, ASV, TEV,
NCV, CEV, as well as Young, Phillips, Darby, Webster, Green, Wesley,
Weymouth. This was Jeromes's translation, "in temptationem," and following
the Vulgate, Douay-Rheims and Knox. Cognates of temptation are found in
French, "tentation" (Segond, Jerusalem), Italian, "tentazione" (CEI, LND,
IBS), Spanish, "tentacion" (RVR1960, NVI, RVR1995, DHH, RVA, LBLA,
CST-IBS), and Portugues, "tentacao" (NVI, IBS, PORAA). Luther chose
"Versuchung" as did his revisers (1912, 1975, 1984) and successors
(Elberfelder). The Staatenvertaling, "verzoeking," and the IBS
"verleiding" are equivalent. Scandanavian versions are all of the
"frestar/frestele" variety (SVL, SV1917, DN1933, DNB1930, Nor-IBS), while
Russian has "iskushyeniye" (Russv, IBS). In all of these languages, the
terms used have the sense of resisting temptation, i.e., passing a test of
moral character.

The use of "test" or "trial" to render PEIRASMOS is decidedly out of the
ordinary, if not idiosyncratic. The only prominent English translation to
do so is NRSV which has "time of trial", although there is nothing about
"time" in the Greek. Such usage may reflect a desire to simplify the
language to the point of being rather overly colloquial, as in the Basic
English "not be put to the test," Contemporary English "won't be tested,"
Worldwide English "will not do wrong," and Biblia en Lenguaje Sencillo's "la
prueba." Notable is the IBS's Hoffnung fuer Alle which has "damit ihr die
kommenden Tage ueberstehen koennt." This reflects a view that the
temptation/test/trial is yet to come, rather than being present in the
natural urge to sleep. Such may foreshadow a future peirasmos, but the main
sense is more immediate.

Sid Martin
Tulsa, Oklahoma