gmark - Re: Mark 16:17,18

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "David and Harriet Watson" <dwatson AT mail.smu.edu>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark 16:17,18
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:20:22 -0600

The textual apparatus of the UBS 3rd ed. Greek NT gives an [A] rating to the
omission of vv. 9-20, indicating that the editors are virtually certain that
these verses are a later addition. The absence of these verses from
Sinaiticus (4th cen) and Vaticanus (4th cen) is significant, as is their
omission from citations in the writings of Clement of Alexandria, Origen,
and Eusebuius, and other church fathers. They vocabulary and style of this
passage differs from the rest of Mk's gospel, as well. However, Alexandrinus
(5th cen), Ephraemi Rescriptus (5th cen), Bezae Cantabrigiensis (5th-6th
cen) and others include these verses. If the are a later addition (which is
likely the case) they were added by 140 CE, as is indicatated in Tatian (see
M. Hooker, _The Gospel According to St. Mark_, 388-9).

David Watson
Graduate Program in Religious Studies, Ph.D. 4
Southern Methodist University
(214) 696-8481