gmark - Mark 16:17,18

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Ralph Jenkins <RJJJJJ6 AT excite.com>
  • To: GMark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mark 16:17,18
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:19:24 -0800 (PST)

R.J. writes:

Mark 16:17,18: "These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name
they will drive out demons; they will speak in new languages; they will pick
up snakes with their hands, and whatever poison they drink will not harm
them;"

I've heard that this verse, along with the latter part of Mark, wasn't in
the original N.T., and that:

#1. According to a study made by Bible scholars, Chapter 16 of Mark had only
8 verses originally, and therefore, verses 9 to 20 were all added later by
the translators.
#2. The Sinaitic manuscript, Vatican manuscript, and Codex Sinaiticus,
considered to be among the oldest manuscripts, do not contain those verses.

#3. Some newer Biblical translations, like the Good News Bible and the
Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, also give
explanations regarding this matter.
#4. I've also heard that Mark 16:9-14 reflects Luke 24:10-36, which
indicates that the writer of Mark 16:9-20 knew of the gospel ascribed
to Luke.

Does anybody have anything to add?
R.J.

Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com