gmark - The Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The Young Man
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 08:23:13 -0800

I recall this being discussed, but I don't recall the outcome.

Why is the "young man" (clothed) in 16:5 not to be equated with the young man (naked) of 14:51?
It seems a plausible enough possibility.

Another question.
Much has been made of the women's failure at the end of the gospel (...and they said nothing...). One common strategy I've heard is that Mark intends the reader to understand this as only a temporary failure, otherwise not only would the twelve never find out about the resurrection, but (more crucially) Mark himself would never have found out. Has the young man been considered as an option (intended by Mark within the context of the reader's imagination) as a source of this information? Having got there before the women, perhaps his witness is to be considered superior. This involves a great deal of speculation, but it seems that due to the nature of the material, speculation may not be avoidable.

Any thoughts?
--
Peace

Steve Black