gmark - Re: The Young Man

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Young Man
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:25:24 -0800

Kym wrote,
I do not think that there is any need to connect the young man who fled
naked with the young man in the tomb. The latter is clearly to be
identified with Matthew's single angel whose garments were white as snow
and who sat upon the stone, and Luke and John's pair of angels who were in
the tomb.

Steve replies,
Kym, thank you for your input

Unless you (as many indeed do) believe in inerrant scriptures (which can be [actually must be] harmonized so as to all be in complete agreement), with supernatural insight bestowed on human authors, or if you believe in that Matthew was written first, and Mark used it as a source, this view is unlikely.
Regarding the first option, I think the scriptures make more sense as human documents written within human (very real) limitations. The fact that someone used (I believe Mt & Lk used Mk - but that is a subject of some debate on this list right now) previously written sources suggests (I would go farther and say demands) normal human writing activity was involved in the creation of the texts in consideration.
Regarding the second option, it seems (this is not "proof") more suggestive of Markan priority than of Matthew's. Stories usually get more embellished in the retelling, not less embellished.

If Mark was thinking of angels, he was speaking of them in a very obscure fashion.
The same term is used of who ever was at the tomb as was used of who ever ran away in the garden.

The former is a bit of a mystery, though, and we may all speculate as to
who he is, for speculation is all we have. I do not think the Synoptic
writers were big into creating symbolic figures, nor do I think that we
have here one who ended up persecuting the Church (i.e. Saul/Paul). If I
must speculate - and, as you will probably find out, I don't mind a bit of
biblical speculation - I suspect that it was Mark himself.

This would suggest that the gospel was written by an eyewitness. This view does not have a great deal to commend itself. The gospel seems very much to be written by one who was entirely dependant upon tradition (and imagination?) for his tale.

--
Peace

Steve Black
Vancouver, BC