gmark - Re: gmark digest: July 03, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Karel Hanhart <K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: July 03, 2001
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:51:51 +0200

Kata Markon digest wrote:

> GMARK Digest for Tuesday, July 03, 2001.
>
> 1. The Young Man

> Subject: The Young Man
> From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 08:23:13 -0800
>
> I recall this being discussed, but I don't recall the outcome.
>
> Why is the "young man" (clothed) in 16:5 not to be equated with the
> young man (naked) of 14:51?
> It seems a plausible enough possibility.
>
> Another question.
> Much has been made of the women's failure at the end of the gospel
> (...and they said nothing...). One common strategy I've heard is that
> Mark intends the reader to understand this as only a temporary
> failure, otherwise not only would the twelve never find out about the
> ðcó
> found out. Has the young man been considered as an option (intended
> by Mark within the context of the reader's imagination) as a source
> of this information? Having got there before the women, perhaps his
> witness is to be considered superior. This involves a great deal of
> speculation, but it seems that due to the nature of the material,
> speculation may not be avoidable.
>
> Any thoughts?
> --
> Peace
>
> Steve Black
> Vancouver, BC

Steve,

You referred to last year's postings. I believe you yourself participated in
it. Indeed, there wasn't any outcome. The reason is, of course, that we all
have
our assumptions on introductory questions.
I for one believe that any new attempt at exegesis should begin with the
oldest
traditions re. the identity of Mark. He was John Mark, born in Jerusalem who
knew both Peter and Paul. This makes him a Christian Jew (Judean) who knew his
scriptures
. He wrote his Gospel from or to the Roman community or to the one in
Alexandria.
(Here follows my assuumption): whatever this option the dating should be
post-70. Thus it was written in the wake of the for every Judean traumatic
ending of the revolt against Rome.
I have taken the liberty to repeat below my arguments why I believe this
youth was highly esteemed in the ecclesia but had to remain anonymous because
he
hadnot been a disciple of Jesus during his ministry. As you say the question
is
important and the discussion suddenly ended. So why not pick up the thread?

yous cordially,

Karel Hanhart K.Hanhart AT net.HCC.nl