gmark - Judas

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Judas
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:22:00 -0800

Title: Judas
At 12:02 AM -0500 3/15/01, Ted Weeden wrote:
The Markan narrative figure =
of Judas is a Markan construct, a collective persona symbolizing the =
Judean Jewish establishment which turned against Jesus and put him =
death. Thus IOUDAS (Judas) stands for IOUDAIA/IOUDAIOI (Judea/Judeans; =
see Richard Horsley's persuasive suggestion, in _Galilee_, 34-52, that =
in Palestine during the second temple period there is evidence that the =
term IOUDAIOI was used to refer to Judeans in distinction to Galileans). =

The suggestion that Judas represents Judea is forced, and ignores elements within the text itself!

Before looking outside the text, we should look at the clues given WITHIN the text. The above semantic parallel (IOADAS=IOUSAIA) is considerably weakened by the reference to Judas the brother of Jesus (Mark 6:3). Did he also represent Judea? Would Mark use this name symbolically here, but not there?

It seems that Judas was a common 1st Cent CE name.

The clue to what the narrative meaning of the character of the betrayer is found, I believe, in his absolute connection with the twelve. Every time he's mentioned, he's either listed with the twelve (Mark 3:19), or with the statement that he was "one of the twelve" (Mark 14:10. 14:43).  Clearly he represents something to do with the disciples, not Judea. (Perhaps he operates as a stern warning to the implied reader about the possibility of real failure.)

We are not being fair to the story world of Mark to ignore theses obvious cues in favor of more subtle possibilities,  ones not derived the text itself.
--
Steve Black

Dig deep for dreams, or you will be toppled by slogans...
                                ee cummings

  • Judas, Steve Black, 03/15/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Judas, Steve Black, 03/30/2001