gmark - Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk (Peter M. Head)
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 18:10:31 +0000

Dear Rikk,

Many thanks for your response to my cheeky question in a previous post. I'm
pleased to read your "pertinent considerations". A few random thoughts.

A. I wouldn't underestimate the role of Isaiah (albeit understood in a
christianized way via the Greek version) for many fathers. Sawyer's The
Fifth Gospel: Isaiah in the history of Christianity (CUP, 1996) is
interesting here (doubtless there would be value in a work giving attention
to the patristic period alone [possibly there already is such a
monograph]). But I take your general point, that we wouldn't expect them to
be particularly aware of a second temple Jewish reading featuring the New
Exodus hope (however nice it would be to find it if it was there!). In any
case generalising about "the fathers" and what they would have read is
probably only as useful as generalising about people from Melbourne and
what they would agree about.

B. I agree entirely that allusion to Isaiah is far far more plausible than
the hypothesis of Homeric mimesis. (IMHOATSOTGNHSTBY :)

C. I am interested in your note re Oden and Hall, but I haven't seen this
book as yet. I hope they document their assertion that "we find early
Christian texts
quoting the Gospel of Mark in literature originating in every locale of the
early church's missionary and pastoral activity" (MARK, ACCS, vol 2,
xxviii)), as I'd quite like to see the evidence behind it. I am also
looking forward to figuring out where 260 pages of ancient commentary on
Mark come from (considering the fact that there are no ancient commentaries
on Mark). Presumably from isolated comments or topical or thematic sermons.
Hmmm.

Anyway, it's fun to chat after all these years

love and kisses

Pete

Dr. Peter M. Head
Tyndale House