gmark - Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 23:25:05 EST

Rikk:

Sorry to be insistent, but can I ask again: if we can see how Mark operates
when he is invoking an interpretive grid, i.e. he explicitly cites materials
and quotes snatches of phrases, why not with something so fundamental to his
story as Homer?  I'm not sure I saw your explanation of this.

==========
Joe:

First, I agree that allusions to the Old Testament are very dense in places,
and quite easy to track, while the opposite is true, I believe, for the
allusions to Homer.  However, we apparently disagree about Homer being “so
fundamental” to Mark. Following MacDonald, I found in Mark about 170 verses
spread over nine different events (
http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html
) which contained elements
which I could accept plausible, possible, or probable parallels to elements
in _Odyssey_  Only forty of those 170 show plausible Homeric influence. Thus,
94 percent of Mark’s 678 verses have nothing to do with Homer, in my
opinion.  This slight contact doesn’t make Homer fundamental to Mark in any
sense of the word, I believe.

Rikk:

Re what I see as the real Achilles heel of this proposal, i.e. that not one
of Mark's target audience, undoubtedly familiar with Homer as they were,
ever caught on.
====
Joe:

You seem to be begging the question, no doubt unintentionally.  Your premise
is essentially the very thing we’re arguing about: that MacDonald can NOT
have been the first person in two millennia to have written about Mark’s
Homeric connection.  It would be easier to believe in MacDonald’s parallels
if the ancients had also written about, them, but in the final analysis,
one’s argument must be directed not to the person, but to the facts and the
logic which connects them.  If we see evidence of Homeric contact, then that
cannot be rejected just because others couldn’t see it.
====
Rikk:

You seem to assume that for the Fathers to observe
parallels between Jesus and Homer would imply to them that Mark's Jesus was
a mythical figure. But why?  Why not, perhaps analogously with Philo,
simply see here divine intervention/patterning such that yes indeed Jesus is
both superior to Odysseus and moreover, far far superior, even the son of
God?
=====
Joe:

Irrespective of whether the Fathers actually believed there was a son of God
named Jesus, evangelizing would have been much more difficult if they had to
tell the pagans that God had Homer write his epics so that a thousand years
later Jesus could be compared favorably to Odysseus.  With all the
virgin-born, miracle-working, resurrected gods they’d been worshiping for
centuries, comparing Jesus to a mythological god-like being would have made
Jesus just one more god among many to the pagans.  The Fathers would have
kept their mouths shut about Homer if they’d seen it in Mark.
 =====
Rikk:

 However, if you are right and the Fathers did not want to recognize
the otherwise obvious parallels, what about the opponents of the church?
Surely they wouldn't have been bound by such constraints and this would have
been a gift to them, especially if the Fathers felt so threatened by it?
But as far as I can not one ever suggests that this Jesus story is based on
Homer.

============
Joe:

You’re assuming that the Fathers--and therefore their opponents--recognized
that Homer was to be found in Mark. I’ve already explained above why that
might not have been the case
============
Rikk:

To sum up, it's all beginning to look a little curious: A. Mark is happy to
cite explicitly and to quote directly from the other works (scrolls) that
have influenced him, Isaiah, Psalms, Jeremiah, etc. but nota sausage of
Homer, his most important source.
=======
Joe:

I think you’re creating a straw man here, perhaps unintentionally; the Old
Testament is Mark’s most important source, not Mark.   What little bit of
Mark is based on Homer is very well hidden, and largely ineptly inserted.
The Mark who was clever enough to weave beautifully certain Old Testament
passages into this stories is probably not the same Mark who added Homer to
them.
=======
Rikk:

B. his target audience, au fait with
their Homer, are completely silent on the parallels (a universal conspiracy
of silence so unified that not one lone voice breaks it--remarkable not
least because the early church seemed hardly to agree on anything, but they
do here with unique unanimity);
======
Joe:

I don’t believe there was a conspiracy.  I believe what may have happened
with the Fathers if any of them knew about the Homer connection is what
happens constantly in controlling churches and cults; nobody dares to speak
out against the common beliefs of the group.  The pressure is just too great,
and there’s too much to lose by telling the others they believe in a false
god.

Think about the controlling churches and cults I spoke of earlier.  If anyone
wants to read horrific accounts of mind policing and group control by church
elders, check out the site at
http://apocalypse.berkshire.net/~ifas/wa/stories.html

You ask if it doesn’t strike me as extraordinary that nobody spoke out?
Well, first I don’t agree that anyone necessarily would have noticed. If it
hasn’t become obvious to all list members by now, it not at all obvious to
most members that MacDonald is correct.  This shows one of two things,
probably:  that the parallels don’t in fact exist, or they exist but are
extremely well hidden.  It’s no surprise to me that no ancient believers
wrote about the parallels, even if they knew about them, which is doubtful.

========
Rikk:

C. the opponents of the church, who likewise
know their Homer backwards, are also silent, passing up what would have to
be a gift to their anti-Christian attacks.  Not even the great Celcus notes
it.  Doesn't it strike you as extraordinary that everyone involved, without
one solitary exception, is utterly silent on the matter?  I think at one
point you invoked Occam's razor.  I wonder what Occam would regard as the
simplest explanation?
====
Joe:

If the opponents had known about the parallels, we undoubtedly would have a
record of their observations.  However, absence of evidence that they knew
about the parallels is not evidence that the parallels are absent.  I’ve
already explained why I think nobody knew about the parallels:  Mark put too
few of them in his gospels, and the few lines he did put in represent a
largely amateurish effort to incorporate Homer in the existing Mark. The Mark
who did the parallels was a highschooler adding to a Markan tradition.
Nobody noticed the parallels because they’re almost impossible to see unless
you go looking for them.  By the way, in some of the analyses of MacDonald’s
work, I’ve indicated that “Mark” fully expected his readers to see certain
Odyssean flags; I’m of a different view now.  I going to change those
comments to “hoped, but didn’t really expect”; Mark was just hurrying to
complete a writing assignment, in my opinion.  Years later, his school papers
were dug out of some ruins somewhere and treated as if they were gospel.

Now, finally, Occam’s Razor.  Given that Homer was in the everyone’s blood
in those days, and that children began to imitate, revise,
paraphrase--concealing as best they could--the epics, we should be surprised
NOT to find some Homerian parallels inMark.  Which explanation would Occam
regard as simpler?  I think the answer is clear:  There are events in Homer
which Mark put in his gospel; he did it so poorly that nobody noticed, but he
didn’t care:  He wasn’t the real “Mark”anyway, whoever he was.

Regards,

 Joe
 Joseph F. Alward,Ph.D.
 Assistant Professor