gmark - Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:13:19 EST

Dennis MacDonald:

I would like to speak to this on going debate between Joe, Rikk, and Larry.
When working with literary imitation one does not count verses. This is
quite ridiculous, actually. The issue is rather the generative potential of
a literary model. This business about 6% and 170 verses seeks to quantify
and then dismiss similarities that go to the core of the narrative:
characterization, plot design (e.g. secrecy and recognition, predictions of
one's own death, uses of irony, etc. If one must quantify, one should do so
by the number of episodes that display possible allusions to the epic. In
this case, well over half of the narrative has Homeric parallels.
===============
Joe Alward:

I certainly agree that a verse count is an inadequate measure of dependency,
but so is a count of the number of different episodes in which Homeric
parallels are to be found. Ultimately all that matters is how strong the
parallels are, and whether they were intended. If the filter is too coarse,
we let Homer slip through in every single event described by Mark.
========
Dennis:

<snip>

Furthermore, I think the apologists suggest why our sources are silent on
the subject: parallels between Christ and Greek heroes become increasingly
embarrassing.
=========
Joe:

As Rikk pointed out, this can't explain why opponents were also silent. The
most likely explanation, in my view, for the silence on both sides is not
embarrassment, but the one I believe you pointed out in your book: Mark was
long on hiding, short on revealing.

In regards to Chapter 10 of your book, "Feasts for Thousands," what do you
think of my suggestions
(http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/MultiplyingLoaves.htm)
that the heart-hardened, uncomprehending Pharaoh was the model for the
disciples, not Odysseus's companions, that Mark put Jesus and his disciples
on a boat to let him metaphorically fish for men and walk on water and save
men to fulfill prophecy, not to remind readers of Odysseus's adventures on
the sea, that Mark had Jesus have the multitude lie down on green grass to
compare him to the Lord's symbolically laying his people down in rich
pastures, not to remind people of Telemachus sitting on soft sheepskin, had
Jesus group his people of the new exodus in fifties and hundreds to emulate
Mose's similar organization of the people of the old exodus, not to remind
them of the nine groups of five hundred at the seaside sacrifice, and was, in
fact, not particularly courtesy, generous, or hospitable to the multitudes?