gmark - Re: Chaper 13

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Antonio Jerez" <antonio.jerez AT privat.utfors.se>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Chaper 13
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:38:39 +0100

Phil Campbell wrote:

> I think the objective should be to work out the message of the MARKAN author
> rather than synthesis with the other gospel writers. Don't you? (Besides
> which, don't you think the END OF THE AGE may be a reference to the end of
> the AGE/ coming into Kingship of the Messiah?)

Of course I agree that "the objective should be to work out the message of
the MARKAN author". But how is the best way to do that? Your method
appears to be the read the text in a kind of vacuum, only glancing backwards
toward OT texts to find parallel meanings. I think it is a lot more rewarding
look both backwards and sideways - towards the other gospels that were written
about the same time as GMark. I hope you are not going to argue that Matthew
and
Luke are of no use in finding out what the more obscure Mark may have been
hinting
at.
I already gave you an example of how a parallel reading of the gospels can
rule
out some of the more preposterous theories - like yours and NT Wright's claim
that the angels in Mark 13:27 are not really angels but christian
missionaries. Take
a look again at Matthew 25:31. I don't think fanciful readings without much
grounding
except in the readers imagination is going to get us much far.

And please clarify which verse your question about the "end of the age"
refers to
in Mark.

Best wishes

Antonio Jerez