gmark - Re: Chaper 13

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Phil Campbell" <philcam AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Chaper 13
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 09:38:01 +1000

One brief comment - whichever "end" we're debating the immanece of, surely
in its context it must be an END OF ISRAEL. Background like Ezekiel 32:7-8
use the same apocalyptic imagery to talk about the snuffing out of Israel...

"7 When I snuff you out, I will cover the heavens and darken their stars; I
will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon will not give its light.
8 All the shining lights in the heavens I will darken over you; I will
bring darkness over your land, declares the Sovereign LORD."

More to the point, Jesus and the disciples as ISRAELITES are talking about
the demise of the TEMPLE... the prospect of the "end of the world" as a
whole is not really on view.

Phil Campbell