gmark - Re: Walking on Water

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Mike Parsons <Mike_Parsons AT baylor.edu>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Walking on Water
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 12:23:20 -0500

Reply to: RE: [gmark] Re: Walking on Water

George Young wrote:

>Another reading, which, given Mark's ungainly portrayal of the disciples, I
>believe to be more plausible, is to take this little phrase as an indication
>of Jesus true intentions: to pass by the disciples, leaving them in the boat
>(cf. Jn,'s account where there is no indication that Jesus ever got into the
>boat with the disciples). Nor is there any mention of meaning to pass them
>by (however we take this phrase)

This latter reading resonates well with other
>instances in Mk. where Jesus appears to snub the disciples, or even lie to
>them (e.g., 1:35f., 5:21f., or in this passage 6:46b [with respect to the
>ptcp APOTAXAMENOS] where the ptcp. is often translated 'abandon' or
>'renounce).
Actually, i don't my (Garland's) reading is incompatible with the 'ungainly
portrayal' of the disciples. The passage clearly ends with the disciples
failure to comprehend: "and they were utterly astounded, for they did not
understand about the loaves" (there's another one to talk about!). That 'he
wishes to pass them by' (i.e. wanted to reveal his divine identity to them)
may have been partially thwarted by the disciples's response (they thought he
was a ghost [phantasma]). Still, Jesus doesn't give up on them nor his
intention to reveal his identity (EGO EIMI). He gets into the boat and the
winds cease. I find the parallels to the use of parechomai in OT
theophanies quite frankly irrestible in this passage, and conclude that even
though the disciples misunderstand, the audience, with all these clues, is
led to read this scene as a theophany (in what meier sternberg calls a
"reader-elevating strategy," where the audience knows or understands
something certain characters do not.)

Furthermore, its best to keep in mind that neither Jesus nor
>the disciples end up where Jesus intended, perhaps because he didn't 'pass
>them by.'

I am puzzled by this last sentence. Where did Jesus "intend himself and the
disciples to end up"?

Mikeal C. Parsons
Department of Religion
Baylor University