gmark - Re: Walking on Water

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "George Young" <gwyoung AT morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Walking on Water
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 14:22:37 -0330

Mike Parsons wrote:

> Though you don't mention it, I have always found curious the little note
at the end of 6:48, "he meant to pass >them by." My colleague, David
Garland, in his NIV Application Commentary (which I highly recommend for
>church bible study groups) gives the various options of interpretations and
then settles (on the basis of the >LXX parallels with the verb parechomai)
on the reading that the phrase when connected to a divinity refers to >an
epiphany. Especially relevant are Exod 33:19-34:7 (where the glory of God
"passes by" Moses) and 1 >Kings 19:11-12 where "the LORD is about to pass
by" Elijah." Garland (263) concludes "that when Jesus >wants to pass by his
disciples, he wills for them to see his transcendent majesty as a divine
being and to give >them reassurance." And the response of Jesus, "I am" EGO
EIMI (v. 50) of course, also is integral to this >epiphany theme.

Another reading, which, given Mark's ungainly portrayal of the disciples, I
believe to be more plausible, is to take this little phrase as an indication
of Jesus true intentions: to pass by the disciples, leaving them in the boat
(cf. Jn,'s account where there is no indication that Jesus ever got into the
boat with the disciples). This latter reading resonates well with other
instances in Mk. where Jesus appears to snub the disciples, or even lie to
them (e.g., 1:35f., 5:21f., or in this passage 6:46b [with respect to the
ptcp APOTAXAMENOS] where the ptcp. is often translated 'abandon' or
'renounce). Furthermore, its best to keep in mind that neither Jesus nor
the disciples end up where Jesus intended, perhaps because he didn't 'pass
them by.'

George W. Young, PhD
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies
Queen's College Faculty of Theology