gmark - Re: Secret Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Secret Mark
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:13:07 -0500

Wieland Willker wrote:

> Okay, once again, - new list! :-)
>
> What do you think about the letter of Clement of Alexandria to Theodore?

I believe a monk at Mar Saba hurriedly copied a more ancient manuscript
in the fly leaves of Isaac Voss' 1646 edition of the Epistolae genuinae S.
Ignatii Martyris
for one of two reasons. Either the original manuscript was seriously
deteriorating or
ordered destroyed by the Abbot as containing a "heterodox" version of Mark.
Whatever the reason, it was an attempt by a scribe to preserve the text.

> Do you think it is authentic?

Yes.

> What do you think is the relationship to our canonical Mark?

I think it predates canonical Mark.

> Do you think the Lazarus story is based on John?

No, I think this tradition predates 4G. I believe the young man at
Gethsamane of the synoptics was Lazarus.

> Do you have a student who could hunt down the manuscript?

No, but the next time I travel in that direction, I'm gonna take
a crack at it.

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net

http://www.historian.net