gmark - The Naked Man (was: Secret Mark)

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Mike MacDonell <sendero AT pcsinter.net>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The Naked Man (was: Secret Mark)
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:28:00 -0700

At 10:13 AM 9/15/99 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:
>Wieland Willker wrote:
>
>> Do you think the Lazarus story is based on John?
>
>No, I think this tradition predates 4G. I believe the young man at
>Gethsamane of the synoptics was Lazarus.

Last week, Maurice O'Sullivan posted the URL to Biblica with the note that
there were several on-line articles related to Mark. I found one of them
particularly interesting, and in response to Jack's comment (above) I went
back and re-read it. In "The Naked Young Man: a Historian's Hypothesis on
Mark 14:51-52" Michael Haren makes a very interesting case that the Naked
Young Man may have been not Lazarus, but Mark himself. I admit to having
had to read it a couple of times before opening up to the idea, but his
arguments both for Mark and against Lazarus are very interesting. The
hypothesis certainly suggests a significant addition to little we know
about Mark-the-historical-figure. You can find the article at:

http://www.bsw.org/project/biblica/bibl79/Ani10.htm

I would be particularly interested in hearing reaction to it.

Best Regards,
Mike

Michael T. MacDonell, Ph.D.
Doctoral Student in Biblical Studies