gmark - Re: Secret Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Wieland Willker" <willker AT chemie.uni-bremen.de>
  • To: "Mark-List" <GMark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Secret Mark
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:27:17 +0200

Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
> What is the status of having a scholar other than Smith to inspect
> the actual manuscript? I recall rumors about Hedrick, but the
> rumors as I received them were inconsistent...

Hedrick tried to look at the manuscript in Mar Saba and in the Greek
Patriarchate library (Jerusalem) without success. But there they showed and
copied for him other photos that are different from M. Smith ones. It seems
as if they have removed the letter from the book.
Hedrick thinks the letter is authentic and he will continue trying to locate
it. He thinks that is has been removed to another library (maybe Istanbul?)
due to its special status.
I don't know of any other atempt to investigate this (which I find very
strange because it is a very interesting topic).

Best wishes
Wieland
<><
mailto:willker AT chemie.uni-bremen.de