freetds - Re: [freetds] Using DBLIB With Azure

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using DBLIB With Azure
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:17:45 -0400

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:38:05 -0400
Brian Bruns <brian AT bruns.com> wrote:

> Well, we store plenty of client properties in the freetds.conf.
> textsize, timeouts, client charset, etc...

Quite so. The [global] section serves as a client-side
property section.

When associated with a server, they do become client attributes for a
given server, yes. But is that really useful? Client encoding never
varies by server; I don't see why textsize and timeouts should,
either.

(I was there, er, here when freetds.conf was invented. I just think I
have a clearer understanding now.)

> Certainly, if the .conf had a database property set, the program could
> override it.

Yes, with something like DBSETLDBNAME(). :-)

> If and when I find the need to connect to Azure, you can look for a
> patch from me, as sqsh and other clients will be hard pressed to act
> correctly without.

The ablility to set defaults in
freetds.conf can be useful, I agree. By the same token, for sqsh to
implement its -D dbname option in an Azure database, ct-lib too will
need the ability to set the database name in the login packet.

> dblib is not dead, just the organization in charge of extending it has
> changed.

Hear, hear, comrade!

Just to re-iterate, a TDS 5.0 login packet has no dbname field; it's a
TDS 7+ feature. Microsoft added the ability to set that field to
ODBC. They never upgraded their db-lib beyond TDS 4.2, and hence never
needed extend db-lib in that way.

The login packet also has the 0x40 option to require access to the
database to be permitted for the login to be accepted. db-lib has no
way to set that bit on or off at present.

Regards,