freetds - Re: [freetds] Using DBLIB With Azure

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Ken Collins <ken AT metaskills.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using DBLIB With Azure
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:47:09 -0400

Afternoon!

>> That process is exactly the problem. Like I said, Azure does not have a
>> notion of "USE..." and that is what dbuse() does.
>
> Exactly what problem, exactly?

The problem, described on this page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336235.aspx

Note
The USE command is not supported for switching between databases. Establish a
connection directly to the target database.

> Why does it matter whether or not Azure has "a notion of" USE? How does
> making one extra call to the library after opening the connection make any
> difference at all?

It should not, the point is that I need a way to specify the database in the
login packet.

> Can the client specify the database to use as part of the connection
> command, as I indicated above, or not?

Yes!!! I just need a way to do it via a public api.

No such method was visible to me. All your recommendations make sense if I
was compiling my own code against non-pubic headers and distributing that.
Ruby gems that compile native C extensions rely on public headers. So if I
was doing a mysql gem, I could only use the public headers that were on
someones system when it compiled on that end users machine.

Perhaps this is the point that we are talking past to one another? In my day
to day, this is the norm and from where you sit, it's just a simple extension
to a part of FreeTDS that is already there as far as you are concerned, but
these interfaces are not available to me since they are not available in the
public with "sybfront.h" and "sybdb.h".

If this is the final ah ha point, what now? My suggesting before was either
extending the public headers to give me something like dbsetldb() or perhaps
even looking deeper into FreeTDS and see why config.c was not picking up and
my database name from my freetds.conf file and setting that automatically for
me in TDSLOGIN. I'd prefer a public dbsetldb() tho. Thoughts?

- Thanks!
Ken