freetds - Re: [freetds] Using DBLIB With Azure

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using DBLIB With Azure
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 07:01:08 -0400

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:47:09 -0400
Ken Collins <ken AT metaskills.net> wrote:

> >> That process is exactly the problem. Like I said, Azure does not have a
> >> notion of "USE..." and that is what dbuse() does.
> >
> > Exactly what problem, exactly?
>
> The problem, described on this page:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336235.aspx
>
> Note
> The USE command is not supported for switching between databases. Establish
> a connection directly to the target database.

Presto, OK, I get it. Gads, the hoops they make us jump through.

> My suggesting before was either extending the public headers to give me
> something like dbsetldb()

DBSETLDBNAME() is the most natural way to extend db-lib to include the
database name in the login packet. It will require modifying TDSLOGIN to
hold the name, and tds_config_login() to copy it to the TDSCONNECTION.

> or perhaps even looking deeper into FreeTDS and see why config.c was not
> picking up and my database name

That may become apparent as you grovel through config.c.

HTH.