freetds - Re: [freetds] New release roadmap

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] New release roadmap
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:55:15 -0400

Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> do we have any stopover for next release?

Hi Freddy,

I wasn't thinking about a new release. Any particular reason you want one
soon? I think there's work to do.

I'm partway toward:

1. Separating connect and login. I want the messages to be clear as to
whether the connection failed or the login failed. IIRC error handling
doesn't work at the very earliest stages. "Server SYBASE not found" must
die.

2. TDSVER = auto. I want this to be the default.

3. A better form of tsql -L.

4. Modifying instance-name lookup to use bind/listen instead of 16
attempts.

5. Making db-lib unit tests portable and testing them on all three
platforms. We should do the same with the others, too.

I've made no progress on:

1. Fixing BCP to make file-encoding a property of the file, not of the
connection environment. (LANG might not agree with a file's encoding.)

2. The most important db-lib bug, reported a few months ago. Under
certain circumstances, it apparently ignores resultsets. I haven't got a
good unit test for it, and I don't know if the vendor implementations
behave the same or differently.

3. Reducing memory requirements for TEXT/IMAGE columns when querying.

Finally, I need to upgrade the autotools that generate the distribution
tarball. I think that will help our OS X and maybe AIX friends. I would
like to do that well in advance of a release to give people a chance to
complain^W report problems.

I suppose we don't have to do all those things. But it would be nice to
finish the partly-done list and upgrade the autotools.

Regards,