freetds - Re: [freetds] dblib unit tests

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] dblib unit tests
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:36:09 -0500

Hi Freddy,

Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 17/11/2008 alle 20.33 -0500, James K. Lowden ha scritto:
> > I began to modify our unit tests to work with Microsoft's db-lib.
> > Some of our tests "pass" FreeTDS but fail with Microsoft's. Some
> > can't be compiled.
> > After modifying t0013 to work with Microsoft's library, it continues
> > to work with FreeTDS. (Whew!)

> perhaps you are doing too much things at the same time :)

Could be, could be. It's lonely at the top. ;-)

> Some time ago I tested with Sybase APIs and results was not so bad...

I remember. I'm doing some work on that side too.

> I have no time to help you

We have an expression for that: "The faster I go, the behinder I get."
(There's no word "behinder" but it makes the point.) Also:

God put me on this earth
to do a certain number of things
before I die.

At the rate I'm going,
I'll live forever.

> Are you sure that our tests cannot be compiled just with MS headers ??

I don't think the headers needed that much modification. But several
tests fail. As we approach 1.0, I think the tests have to be better, and
they have to work on all three implementations (FreeTDS, Sybase, and
Microsoft).

> I saw a note in ChangeLog but I didn't see commits to dblib unittests,
> did you forget to commit?

I'll check when I get back to work. Thanks for pointing that out.

> You could commit the nmake Makefile into misc directory.

Actually, on reflection, I think I'll add it to src/dblib/unittests. With
a little more work, it should be possible to use nmake.exe to compile and
link the unit tests against any implementation.

My concern is the stream processing error that Ted Hayes reported on 11
November. It's been there a long time. It will be hard to fix without
changing libtds, and the change might affect all three API libraries.
More rigorous tests would have uncovered it before, particularly if they
were cross-tested with the vendor implementations. I conclude that only
boring, meticulous testing will flush out the remaining db-lib
compatibility problems and errors.

Best regards,