freetds - Re: [freetds] dblib unit tests

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] dblib unit tests
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:55:55 +0100

Il giorno lun, 24/11/2008 alle 17.36 -0500, James K. Lowden ha scritto:
> Hi Freddy,
>
> Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > Il giorno lun, 17/11/2008 alle 20.33 -0500, James K. Lowden ha scritto:
> > > I began to modify our unit tests to work with Microsoft's db-lib.
> > > Some of our tests "pass" FreeTDS but fail with Microsoft's. Some
> > > can't be compiled.
> > > After modifying t0013 to work with Microsoft's library, it continues
> > > to work with FreeTDS. (Whew!)
>
> > perhaps you are doing too much things at the same time :)
>
> Could be, could be. It's lonely at the top. ;-)
>
> > Some time ago I tested with Sybase APIs and results was not so bad...
>
> I remember. I'm doing some work on that side too.

well... I see the changes and I can't see many changes in unittests in
order to compile under windows... good!

> > I have no time to help you
>
> We have an expression for that: "The faster I go, the behinder I get."
> (There's no word "behinder" but it makes the point.) Also:
>
> God put me on this earth
> to do a certain number of things
> before I die.
>
> At the rate I'm going,
> I'll live forever.
>
> > Are you sure that our tests cannot be compiled just with MS headers ??
>
> I don't think the headers needed that much modification. But several
> tests fail. As we approach 1.0, I think the tests have to be better, and
> they have to work on all three implementations (FreeTDS, Sybase, and
> Microsoft).

I think so.

> > I saw a note in ChangeLog but I didn't see commits to dblib unittests,
> > did you forget to commit?
>
> I'll check when I get back to work. Thanks for pointing that out.
>
> > You could commit the nmake Makefile into misc directory.
>
> Actually, on reflection, I think I'll add it to src/dblib/unittests. With
> a little more work, it should be possible to use nmake.exe to compile and
> link the unit tests against any implementation.
>
> My concern is the stream processing error that Ted Hayes reported on 11
> November. It's been there a long time. It will be hard to fix without
> changing libtds, and the change might affect all three API libraries.
> More rigorous tests would have uncovered it before, particularly if they
> were cross-tested with the vendor implementations. I conclude that only
> boring, meticulous testing will flush out the remaining db-lib
> compatibility problems and errors.

Well... I know :) ODBC is now more test-driven. Actually I check ODBC
unitest under windows about every month. I found a winexec command under
Linux that could help me to script everything. Some tests fails some
cause MS ODBC seems less ODBC-compliant compared to our driver (believe
or not!) and something for sligtly difference (so small that former MS
ODBC passed...)

I don't think Ted problem require many changes (I don't think libTDS
will change...). Perhaps is time to see done_handling test again... this
test... is not a test... it do some test but what it lack is results
checking... it mainly prints the state of dblib after every operation
without checking a given state, so it returns always success. Many time
ago (more than a year I think) I managed to add state test and fix our
dblib (results printed was quite different!).