freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql works, unixODBC's isql doesn't

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Joel Fouse <joel AT fouse.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql works, unixODBC's isql doesn't
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:50:27 -0400

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 13:36 -0400, Joel Fouse wrote:

> I downloaded the stock unixODBC-2.2.11-1.i386.rpm and force-installed it
> over the existing RHEL4-specific rpm
> (unixODBC-2.2.11-1.RHEL4.1.i386.rpm), after I removed the unixODBC-kde
> rpm (not sure why that was there -- this is a headless box). Just for
> good measure I re-installed the stock devel rpm
> (unixODBC-devel-2.2.11-1.i386.rpm). Then I re-configure/make/make
> installed FreeTDS 0.82, and IT WORKS. Oddly enough, it seems to only
> work as odbc-only, though. If I have the same info in freetds.conf as
> well as odbc.ini, it doesn't do well. But I'm fairly certain I'd tried
> that before and it didn't work, so I'm wondering if there was something
> in the RHEL-specific unixODBC rpm that wasn't quite working right, or
> perhaps a mismatch between the RHEL-specific binary rpm and the stock
> -devel rpm I installed to get the header files. In any case, thanks for
> your assistance and patience.

Quick follow-up...I take back the odbc-only thing. I can do the
combined configuration as well, where instead of specifying "Server" and
"Port" in odbc.ini, the "Servername" parameter points to the
appropriately-named section in freetds.conf. Not sure what I did that
made me think I coulnd't a minute ago.

- Joel