freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql works, unixODBC's isql doesn't

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql works, unixODBC's isql doesn't
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:26:40 +0200

> I've been spending way too much time trying to get this working, and
> have tried every one of various permutations I can think of or come
> across in various mailing lists and forums and documentation.
> Everyone
> else seems to end with "Got it working, thanks!" But I haven't,
> yet. :P
>
> Environment: RHEL 4.1, unixODBC-2.2.11-1.RHEL4.1 was already
> installed.
> I installed the unixODBC-devel-2.2.11-1 rpm to get the header
> files, and
> compiled freeTDS 0.83 as such:
>
> [root@web ~]# tsql -C
> Compile-time settings (established with the "configure" script)
> Version: freetds v0.83.dev.20080714
> freetds.conf directory: /usr/local/etc
> MS db-lib source compatibility: no
> Sybase binary compatibility: no
> Thread safety: yes
> iconv library: yes
> TDS version: 5.0
> iODBC: no
> unixodbc: yes
>
> freetds.conf contains the following:

You can use even 0.82, but this is not the problem...

> freetds.conf
> ========
> [db01]
> host = 192.168.1.101
> port = 1434
> tds version = 7.0

strange port, are you sure is not 1433 ?? 1434 is default udp port for
instance
informations.

> ...And tsql connects nicely, whether using -H/-p w/ IP and port, or -S
> w/ db01.
>
> All well and good, on to unixODBC. Here's the relevant files:
>
> odbcinst.ini
> =======
> [FreeTDS]
> Description = TDS driver with Protocol v7.0
> Driver = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
>
> [FreeTDS2]
> Description = v0.63 with protocol v8.0
> Driver = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> Setup = /usr/lib/libtdsS.so.1
> UsageCount = 1

Mmmm... why same file for 2 drivers ??

> ===========
> END odbcinst.ini
>

> odbc.ini
> =====
> [ODBC Data Sources]
> db01 = This is db01
> db01-2 = This is db01-2
>
> [Default]
> Driver = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
>
> [db01]
> Description = This is db01
> Driver = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> # Driver = FreeTDS
> # Server = 192.168.1.101
> Server = db01
> # Port = 1434
> # tds_version = 7.0
> Trace = Yes
> Tracefile = /tmp/odbc.log

this could work if db01 is the dns name, probably you want Servername, not
Server.

> [db01-2]
> Description = This is db01-2
> Driver = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> # Driver = FreeTDS2
> Server = 192.168.1.101
> Port = 1434
> TDS_Version = 7.0
> Trace = Yes
> Tracefile = /tmp/odbc.log
> ForceTrace = Yes

This should work, I don't know trace (which are unixODBC fields)

> =========
> END odbc.ini
>

> As you can probably see from the comments, I've tried several
> variations
> of Driver and Server. But pretty much no matter what I do (except
> misspell the DSN; that's a different error, obviously), I see this:
>
> [root@web ~]# isql -v db01-2 $USER $PASS
> [S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

well, driver is correct (error came from FreeTDS).

> And there's no tracefile or logfile that I can find. TDSDUMPCONFIG
> doesn't do squat (it does when tsql connects successfully), and the
> tracefile specified in odbc.ini never gets created.
>
> I take that back -- even if I give isql a bogus DSN it still spits out
> the same thing. I don't think it did at some point in my testing, but
> there it is. Somewhere I found a reference to using the osql
> util, but
> that seems to be looking for iODBC stuff rather than unixODBC:
>
> [root@web apps]# ./osql -S db01 -U $USER -P $PASS
> osql: error: no potential directory strings in "/usr/bin/isql"
> isql strings are:
> + /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> + /lib/ld-linux.so.2
>
> Again, TDSDUMPCONFIG does nothing here.
>
> Any help? Pointers, logging tips, 2x4 upside the head? I'll take
> anything.

You could try a

strace -e connect isql db01-2 $USER $PASS