freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql works, unixODBC's isql doesn't

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Joel Fouse <joel AT fouse.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql works, unixODBC's isql doesn't
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:36:33 -0400

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 12:23 -0400, Joel Fouse wrote:

> I just noticed that I've been working with a snapshot rather than the
> latest stable release. I went in through ftp and saw "current" while
> overlooking "stable". I'm now compiling 0.82; I'll let you know if
> there's any difference.

There was no difference in behavior when downgrading from FreeTDS 0.83
snapshot to 0.82 stable.

BUT...

I downloaded the stock unixODBC-2.2.11-1.i386.rpm and force-installed it
over the existing RHEL4-specific rpm
(unixODBC-2.2.11-1.RHEL4.1.i386.rpm), after I removed the unixODBC-kde
rpm (not sure why that was there -- this is a headless box). Just for
good measure I re-installed the stock devel rpm
(unixODBC-devel-2.2.11-1.i386.rpm). Then I re-configure/make/make
installed FreeTDS 0.82, and IT WORKS. Oddly enough, it seems to only
work as odbc-only, though. If I have the same info in freetds.conf as
well as odbc.ini, it doesn't do well. But I'm fairly certain I'd tried
that before and it didn't work, so I'm wondering if there was something
in the RHEL-specific unixODBC rpm that wasn't quite working right, or
perhaps a mismatch between the RHEL-specific binary rpm and the stock
-devel rpm I installed to get the header files. In any case, thanks for
your assistance and patience.

- Joel