freetds - Re: [freetds] New upcoming release, branch, rc and others...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] New upcoming release, branch, rc and others...
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 07:47:29 -0500

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> The problem is that when you split file you loose some CVS history cause
> new file don't have all history.

I don't think that really matters. cvs diff on ChangeLog isn't very
interesting. It's much more important to convey the changes in a way
that's easy to understand.

> Perhaps is better to start writing a new ChangeLog-0.82 in CVS HEAD and
> put a simple line in ChangeLog (that is update ChangeLog-0.82 directly).

That wasn't my intention. I think ChangeLog in CVS HEAD holds changes
since the last release. If the release is N, ChangeLog records changes to
N+1. When N+1 is released, it's given a number, and the rows in ChangeLog
that apply to it are moved to a new file, ChangeLog-${N+1}. When a
release is branched, ChangeLog is empty.

In the CVS release branch, ChangeLog itself would be empty initially. We
could log post-release changes to the release in there. That makes sense
to me.

It looks like 0.64 was branched at revision 1.1949 on Jan 11, 2006.

I would like to move -- copy? -- all records from those ChangeLog files
into ChangeLog-0.82. I would do this in HEAD and BRANCH0_82.

(Memo to self: next project gets nicer looking branch tag names. "Tag
names must start with an uppercase or lowercase letter and can contain
uppercase and lowercase letters, digits, `-', and `_'." A name like
"Branch-0_82" would be easier to read.)

ChangeLog would then accumulate records until the next release, at which
time they would be *moved* to that release's ChangeLog-N file. (I believe
I suggested 0.91 for that one.)

Regards,