freetds - [freetds] SQL Server 2005 / 2008 support

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Sebastien FLAESCH <sf AT 4js.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] SQL Server 2005 / 2008 support
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:57:52 +0100

Dear all,

I am new to this mailing list and want to introduce myself and our product /
company.

My name is Sebastien FLAESCH and I am in charge of the database interfaces at
Four J's Development Tools.

Our product is a Informix 4gl compatible compiler / runtime system.

I wrote all database interfaces to:
- Oracle (OCI),
- DB2 UDB (CLI),
- SQL Server (ODBC and Native Client),
- PostgreSQL (libpq),
- MySQL (libmysqlclient),
- Sybase ASA (dblib*),
- ANTs (ODBC).

We have a large customer base using Informix and some of them want to migrate
to SQL Server, but keeping the apps on Unix.

We already had a look at DataDirect drivers - working quite well by the way -
but license is too expensive for our customers.

Now we started to look at FreeTDS...

Understand we do not just write a light driver to let 4gl programmers do a
few SELECT / INSERT / UPDATE / DELETE statements;
We talk about a supporting a complex OLTP application programming language
(Informix 4gl).

We need a full support of ODBC (or any other API that gives us the chance to do what we want), with advanced features such as array-fetch, stored-procedure support (in/out params), blobs, etc.

To be honest I am a bit scared about the status of the FreeTDS project:

- Version is still alpha/beta (0.64) - when you compile FreeTDS you get a
debug version by default.
- No scrollable cursors??? (this is very old stuff - now?)
- There is no official support for SQL Server 2005 / 2008 (only TDS 8.0)

PLEASE: What are the plans?

You guys probably know about SQL Server's Native Client that ships with SQL
Server 9 (2005).
This one is supposed to replace the old ODBC driver one day, from my
understanding.
Are they still using TDS with this Native Client? => Is TDS going to die?

Sorry to be direct but we need to be sure because if we suggest FreeTDS to
our customers, it's for a while.

Thanks,
Sebastien FLAESCH
www.4js.com