freetds - Re: [freetds] SQL Server 2005 / 2008 support

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] SQL Server 2005 / 2008 support
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:14:50 +0100

> Dear all,
>
> I am new to this mailing list and want to introduce myself
> and our product / company.
>
> My name is Sebastien FLAESCH and I am in charge of the
> database interfaces at Four J's Development Tools.
>
> Our product is a Informix 4gl compatible compiler / runtime system.
>
> I wrote all database interfaces to:
> - Oracle (OCI),
> - DB2 UDB (CLI),
> - SQL Server (ODBC and Native Client),
> - PostgreSQL (libpq),
> - MySQL (libmysqlclient),
> - Sybase ASA (dblib*),
> - ANTs (ODBC).
>
> We have a large customer base using Informix and some of them
> want to migrate to SQL Server, but keeping the apps on Unix.
>
> We already had a look at DataDirect drivers - working quite
> well by the way - but license is too expensive for our customers.
>
> Now we started to look at FreeTDS...
>
> Understand we do not just write a light driver to let 4gl
> programmers do a few SELECT / INSERT / UPDATE / DELETE statements;
> We talk about a supporting a complex OLTP application
> programming language (Informix 4gl).
>
> We need a full support of ODBC (or any other API that gives
> us the chance to do what we want), with advanced features
> such as array-fetch,
> stored-procedure support (in/out params), blobs, etc.

Great !!!

> To be honest I am a bit scared about the status of the
> FreeTDS project:
>
> - Version is still alpha/beta (0.64) - when you compile
> FreeTDS you get a debug version by default.

Don't mind for alpha/beta, is that nobody change it :)
About default configure by default use "-O2 -g" which include debug
informations. If you refer to the ability to always enable logging we
think that this is not a problem.

> - No scrollable cursors??? (this is very old stuff - now?)

Are supported by CVS. Currently we are next to a release (we hope).

> - There is no official support for SQL Server 2005 / 2008
> (only TDS 8.0)

No, there is some code in CVS and some work on it but not complete
(varchar(max) and other stuff not supported).

> PLEASE: What are the plans?
>
> You guys probably know about SQL Server's Native Client that
> ships with SQL Server 9 (2005).
> This one is supposed to replace the old ODBC driver one day,
> from my understanding.

No, MS will not support oldl ODBC driver but Native Client provide a new
ODBC driver. The problem was that OLEDB, ODBC and dblib libraries didn't
share so much code so a bug fixed for ODBC had to be ported to OLEDB and
dblib. Native Client is a new library implementation where all libraries
share the same code.

> Are they still using TDS with this Native Client? => Is TDS
> going to die?

Native Client is a new client library but the protocol is still TDS,
extended but still TDS, and I don't think nobody is complaining about
the protocol...

> Sorry to be direct but we need to be sure because if we
> suggest FreeTDS to our customers, it's for a while.

I think that features you require are at 95%. There has been other
company that help our project to get their 100% needs. For instance now
we support Orable binding cause someone support us with testing as we
don't have a Oracle installation.

> Thanks,
> Sebastien FLAESCH
> www.4js.com