freetds - Re: [freetds] Can't 'make check' - installing freetds 0.63 - new problem :(

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Can't 'make check' - installing freetds 0.63 - new problem :(
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:30:43 -0400

eodonnell AT lineone.net wrote:
> Ok, clearly not being able to telnet to the MSSQL server on 1433 was a
> problem. I just don't understand why I can't connect via telnet on 1433,
> but can via server ent mgr on the same port - could our company
> firewalls possibly be differentiating between telnet / client app on the
> same port???

No, telnet is telnet: the firewall can't know what application is
attempting to open a connection. I *does* know the orignator's address,
though. It's completely feasible to allow telnet connections to the
server from your Win32 box running EM, but not from your Solaris box
running FreeTDS.

> I had the DBA's give me access to a test MYSQL server. I can telnet to
> this one on 1433 and 'make check' was able to login and run its tests.
>
> Unfortunately it fails further down the line. Looks like it's having
> problems creating/dropping tables in the tempdb. The 'make check' output
> is shown below in the hope someone may be able to spot what's wrong!

The table-dropping messages are normal, and you'll note they don't cause
the test to fail. The failure is with the inbound ct-blk test.
Congratulations, you found a bug. Well, a small one.

The test fails if the account doesn't have permission to create a table.
The choice of database in which the table is (or would be) created is
governed by the DB variable in the PWD file. If you can't create the
table, it should still fail -- because it can't verify that the
functionality works -- but it should give you a clue as to why.

> The MYSQL user account is not a sysadmin account, just a bog standard
> user.

It's good you mentioned that, because it made me go looking for a
permissions problem.

I'd say you're in good shape, apart from whatever networking issues still
lie ahead.

Regards,