freetds - Re: [freetds] Can't 'make check' - installing freetds 0.63 - new problem :(

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Can't 'make check' - installing freetds 0.63 - new problem :(
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 21:10:03 -0400

eodonnell AT lineone.net wrote:
> Earlier today, from Solaris I successfully read data from a MSSQL db!

Progress!

> I took this fantastic tool to our test (production mirror) environment,
> but unfortunately I'm having a different 'make check' problem.
>
> It looks like the problem I had yesterday where I was unable to telnet
> to the db from the machine I was compiling on. This time I can telnet,
> so I don't know how to get round the problem (make check output shown
> below).

Please follow the troubleshooting steps in the User Guide. The unit tests
are not designed to explain their failures. Maybe they should be, but
that's another matter. They're just binary works/broken tests. Mostly
they're used by developers (and users) to ensure the sources work as
advertised.

My first question would be whether or not tsql connects. My guess is no,
and that your freetds.conf is no correct or not located where it should
be. I think once your have tsql working, the unit tests will work, too.

> Could someone provide
> a list of what files I need to copy?
>
> I configured the install with the command
> ./configure --with-tdsver=7.0 --with-prefix=/usr/local/freetds
> but tsql installed to:
> /usr/local/bin/tsql
> So I'm a bit confused about where everything has gone

The idea of a "prefix" is that it's a sort of logical root, along the
lines of /usr on a standard unixy system. Executables go in PREFIX/bin,
as you found. Libraries go in PREFIX/lib, and include files in
PREFIX/include. There is a small exception: the configuration directory
(analogous to /etc, not /usr/etc) is is PREFIX/etc. That's where
freetds.conf is looked for.

These locations, btw, are all tuneable. If you haven't seen them, try
"./configure --help".

Now the answer to your prior question becomes clear, eh?

$ ./configure --with-prefix=/usr/local/freetds
$ make
$ make install
$ cd /usr/local
$ pax -wzf freetds.installed.tgz freetds/

Copy and extract the tarball at will.

Regards,