freetds - RE: [freetds] Named Instances

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brett <generica AT email.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Named Instances
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:30:05 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Bort, Paul wrote:

An instance is two things: An entry in a directory that can be queried at
port 1434, and a SQL Server listening on a port other than 1433.

You can live without the directory if you can discover the port number
assigned to the instance you care about. This is available in the "Server
Network Utility" program.

Then just forget the whole 'instance' thing and connect to the SQL Server on
that port.

Sounds good on paper, but for my usage, we'll be telling users to install the db we need as a named instance, called 'blah', and then trying to connect to that named instance from the program. We can't assume port numbers, or ask them to find the port number assigned to that instance, and then tell the program what it is, so it's important for the program using tds to be able to connect to an instance by name only.

If this functionality (as described below) will be a while coming to dblib, then perhaps I'd be better off querying the sql server to find out the port assigned to the instance? Is that possible ?

/ Brett