freetds - RE: [freetds] Re: 0.63 Release Candidate 10

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Re: 0.63 Release Candidate 10
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:57:16 +0100

> > Let's remember a bit of story. Mac OS X had some problem
> with library
> > for some months we tried to fix it (trying changing libtool
> script with
> > patch or even libtool version). The main problem is that there were
> > very
> > few tester... If we change a line and we have to wait for a
> week or two
> > this means that changing a line ten times require 2 months...
> > After some time someone reported problems with ODBC (driver not
> > loaded).
> > Someone else report a link to Apple pages that tell that iODBC
> > implementation had problems... After some months we discovered that
> > using bundle instead of .dylib fix the issue. So we add -module to
> > Makefile.am and we had no more reports (happily). Some time ago we
> > discovered also that instead of upgrading libtool we could
> change link
> > script (and so we did... happily no reports).
>
> I understand your frustration here. I myself was never able
> to get the
> libraries to build on darwin until Mark Lilback posted his build
> instructions. The standard *nix build tools have come a long
> way since
> then in terms of darwin support. In 2005, it looks like most public
> projects include correct support for darwin in their build
> scripts. It
> was a very different situation in 2003.

I still don't understand the relationship between darwin and Mac OS X.
Darwin it's the core of Mac OS X. However which darwin version use, for
instance, Mac OS X 10.1 ??

> > Your mail, if I remember
> > correctly, was in 0.62 RC phase so instead of trying to
> improve linking
> > we "ignore" (not correct term...) your mail. Now we are
> still in RC and
> > still this issue raise in a very bad period.
>
> I apologize for not being more persistent about getting the changes
> implemented once 0.62 was released. I'm just one user and I
> didn't see
> anyone else voice an opinion. Since I wasn't able to make
> the changes
> myself, I just let it go. In hind sight, I should have forced the
> issue.
>
> > As you say current scripts
> > work so for 0.63 they are fine.
> >
> > You spot however two problems:
> > 1) two level namespaces
> > 2) module format
>
> If you're building a dylib, you should definitely build with
> two level
> namespaces for darwin 5.0 or later (versions earlier than 5.0
> must use
> flat namespaces). However, I think the real question is which type
> should be built - dylibs or bundles.
>
> Dylibs seem to be the preferred library format for darwin in
> general.
> There are cases when a bundle might be a better choice. I think a
> truly darwin friendly environment would support building
> both, much in
> the same way that both iODBC and unixODBC are supported.
>
> > 1) Probably the solution is to check is Mac OS X (which
> version provide
> > this option?)? and add -Wl,-twolevel_namespace to
> src/odbc/Makefile.am
>
> darwin 5.0 or later: two level namespace
> else: flat namespace
>
> > 2) still problem is version. Which version support correctly
>
> I believe all versions of darwin support loading dylibs. However,
> Apple only started including the iODBC driver manager libraries
> starting in darwin 6.
>
> > All code I sent was from libtool output so another problem is: how
> > libtool behave using -Wl,-twolevel_namespace and not using -module
> > under
> > Mac OS X ??
>
> I don't understand libtool at all, so I don't really understand your
> question. However, if you give me some things to test, I
> will try them
> on various environments and report the results back to you.
>
> Jonathan

well... libtool it's a script we use to support dynamic library on
multiple platform. It give you a uniform way to build libraries. libtool
is bundled in FreeTDS distro (after executing configure you will note a
libtool script, do not confuse this libtool with Mac OS X one...).
libtool do this hard job very well so at this time we have to live with.
If you want to try to produce a .dylib with current snapshot using two
level namespace simply do this:
- execute configure
- in src/odbc/Makefile
- find "-module"
- remove "-module"
- add "-Wl,-twolevel_namespace"
- make as usual
The library compiled load successfully? Are you able to do a connection?