freetds - RE: [freetds] 0.64 news - logs and SSL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] 0.64 news - logs and SSL
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:48:34 +0100

> How far along is the SSL support? I'm testing with the latest dev
> snapshot and can't see any difference when trying to make an SSL
> connection (same old "read from SQL server failed" message). Should I
> be doing something different? I have installed the gnutls libraries
> with your patch and all of its dependancies. Also, I did an export
> HAVE_GNUTLS before compiling freetds.
>
> Also, I'd be more than happy to help test or do a network
> capture if you
> could give me instructions on what to do.
>
> Danny

Being still in development it's not that documented. You have to compile
gnutls from source using patch I attached. Then compile FreeTDS snapshot
using --with-gnutls option. This option use libgnutls-config app to
detect include/libraries required. Also you have to use TDS protocol 8.0
(7.0 is not sufficient).

About status... code to handle errors is in cvs, memory leak reported
however still remains. The problem is to find a good and portable way to
catch library unloading to call function to deinitialize gnutls. Using
gcc I found a good way however other platform still lack gnutls
deinitialization... I also spotted another leak problem however it's due
to lack of deinitialization of libgcrypt... However the leak happen only
on first connection, other connection are not affected. If you use ODBC
it would be fine to not unload library after use so to have only a
single not growing leak.

About network capture. If your system (server and client) are installed
to support high encryption and you can enable it would be fine to do a
capture of a connection (I used only ODBC Data Source Administrator from
control panel to do all my tests on windows). I used ethereal for
capture (http://www.ethereal.com/) but feel free to use anything you
want (ethereal can load about everything :) ). If all these info do not
allow you to get connected please send me the FreeTDS logging instead,
it sufficient and contains (usually) network dump too.