freetds - [freetds] Re: 0.63 Release Candidate 10

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jonathan Monroe <monroej_freetds AT actualtechnologies.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: 0.63 Release Candidate 10
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:49:46 -0600

On Feb 7, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Frediano ZIGLIO wrote:

ODBC shared libraries gets the wrong name, *.so. Other shared
libraries
get the correct .dylib name.

Before to say it's wrong it's best to try it... in 0.62 I changed from
.dylib to .so cause iODBC (bundled with Max OS X 10.2 if I remember)
refuse to load dylib but loads .so (don't ask me why...)

The iODBC libraries shipped with Darwin / OS X will load either a .dylib or a .so (bundle). The loader checks the library type and then calls the correct loading routines. I mentioned in a previous post that Apple recommends that dylibs be built using "two level namespaces":

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2004q1/015609.html

Since the same symbols (SQLAllocHandle, etc) appear in both the driver manager and the driver, the two level name space option ensures that the application keeps the symbols separate. There are situations where conflicts occur when the libraries are built with flat name spaces. I'm not sure if that's the problem you ran into - I can run the unit tests with the library built as either a dylib or a bundle.

Jonathan