freetds - RE: [freetds] Wide varchar() columns / freetds / ctlib

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Wide varchar() columns / freetds / ctlib
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:25:23 -0000

Michael,

I don't know if this is what you're after, but I can tell you that
freetds doesn't have any issues with large (n)(var)char columns per se.

I've just written a program that selects text from syscomments, which in
SQL server is NVARCHAR(4000) -
I'm using db-library, mind.

I notice stuff in the Sybase open client client-library reference manual
(12.5) with respect to support for WIDE varchars etc. I don't think we
have done anything specific to deal with wide columns, but they may just
work out of the box...

I am keen on getting ct-lib as complete as possible.
As you may have picked up, we now have the blk library implemented, as
well as the ct_cursor() functionality, enabling clients to interact with
server side cursors through the API. I am next looking at ct_dynamic()
etc.
If there are any specifics that we don't implement that are important to
you, then let me know, and I'll put them on my TODO list.

Bill