freetds - RE: [freetds] Failure in iconv.c

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Failure in iconv.c
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:55:49 +0200

> I'm running the iodbctest.c test program sucessfully on one
> host machine with freetds' odbc driver. The host is a Sun
> Solaris platform.
>
> I tried to copy the test program and all relevent libraries
> to another Sun Solaris based host, i.e., without doing a
> build of the iodbc or freetds packages. (The two machines
> are not totally identical, but run the same OS version). The
> program starts up, seems to find all the relevent libraries,
> driver, and config files, but it dies in freetds' iconv.c
> routine. Here's the error:
>
> iconv.c:343: failed assertion `ret == 0'
> Abort(coredump)
>
> I looked at that module's source code and didn't really
> understand what it was doing.
>
> Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do, i.e., copy an
> application without building the packages on the target
> machine? Perhaps with some other configuration parameter,
> variable, or file?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
> Gary

Probably "source" machine have more iconv packages (like in HP-UX in
Solaris to enable some coding you need additional packages). FreeTDS
require these charset:
- iso-8859-1
- ucs-2
- utf-8
names can changes system by system but FreeTDS does a nice job to
discover the real name. You can also compile using a partial but
sufficient iconv implementation using --disable-libiconv. This option
it's used by Bill Thompson (FreeTDS developer using Solaris) so it
should work for you. Keep in mind however that this stripped iconv
support only utf-8, ucs-2 and iso-8859-1 so if you want to use
no-english/west european (french, italian, spanish and similar)
languages (for istance cause you are russian) it's not a good choice.