freetds - Re: [freetds] About the Unicode support in the FreeTDS ODBC Driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] About the Unicode support in the FreeTDS ODBC Driver
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:05:14 -0400

On Tue, 18 May 2004, "ou liu" <ou AT qbt.com> wrote:

> Does the FreeTDS ODBC Driver support the UNICODE?

Unicode is a set of standards. FreeTDS supports UTF-8 as a client
encoding, but not UCS-2.

If by "the UNICODE" you mean 16-bit Unicode such as is used by Win32 and
Mac OS X, no, the FreeTDS ODBC driver won't support that. It probably
could, but there isn't much demand.

> Or I could use the SQL_C_CHAR to bind and later translate
> the
> data in buffer into UNICODE by myself?

If you are using a Microsoft server, you can store your data as
nchar/nvarchar/ntext. You may then be able to use a binary binding,
causing FreeTDS to pass you the bits without interpretation.