freetds - [freetds] Re: MSSQL error on certain Tables [php]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: MSSQL error on certain Tables [php]
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 05:10:13 +0200

On May 19, 2004, at 1:37, Robert Kruse wrote:

Through PHP, we can successfully send a simple query to 42 out of the 49
tables, but when we try to do a simple query to any of the 7 outstanding
tables, we get the "The page cannot be displayed" error.

Any simple queries ought to work, even rather complex ones. Something's definitely wrong here.
As I understand you can reliable reproduce your problem all the time. If so, we are off to a good start.

Let's go through some of the usual troubleshooting steps.

1. More information

I have FreeTDS.62 running on IRIX64 with apache2 & PHP 4.3.5 and we're
accessing an SQL Server 7 database with 49 tables.

- Which PHP extension are you using with FreeTDS: mssql / sybase / sybase_ct / odbc? [SQSH uses Ct-lib, and the only PHP extension accessing that interface is the sybase_ct one.]
Is it linked in statically or loaded from a shared module?

- FreeTDS configuration basics: what TDS version are you using? Is FreeTDS set up to do any iconv character encoding translation? (The latter could be the reason why some tables behave differently from the others.)

- Try loading the page in another browser to see what the server really sends. "The page cannot be displayed" sounds like a Windows Internet Explorer "friendly" error message. In Microsoft speak, friendly means it does its best to obscure what the problem really is. Also check the Apache error log. I suspect a segmentation fault.

2. Set out to isolate the problem

- Start with the single most effective step: try the same php script using the command-line cli php interpreter to get Apache out of the picture. One less variable to care about. You most likely already have the cli version of php installed even if you aren't aware of it. In recent versions of PHP such as yours, it's automatically built alongside the Apache module.

On the whole, I suspect a 64-bit or IRIX issue somewhere.

--
fds