freetds - Re: [freetds] ODBC - binary, row count and compatibility

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] ODBC - binary, row count and compatibility
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:08:48 -0500

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
wrote:

> I don't want to stick my oar in where it's not wanted,

I don't think that's possible, Bill.

> Sybase open client version of dbsqlok IGNORES DONEINPROC tokens and
> reads the returned data until it finds either a result set or a DONE or
> DONEPROC token.

Ah. They're not fooled by nasssty triggerses, are they, Precious?

> To check for runtime errors inside stored procedures, use the
> dbretstatus routine to look at the procedure's return status and trap
> relevant server messages inside your message handler.

That's the key difference. db-lib applications have a message handler,
and have to rely on the handler to detect and cope with certain
conditions. That closely reflects the wire protocol. ODBC, on the other
hand, has to do a certain amount of caching and looking ahead to know what
to return, per its spec.