freetds - Re: [freetds] ODBC - binary, row count and compatibility

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] ODBC - binary, row count and compatibility
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:56:35 -0500

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT"
<Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com> wrote:

> I agree to release a new 0.63 (as simple fix version). I think we should
> finish in some way what we started:
> 1- name normalization (removing INFO and others)
> finished ? BCPCOLINFO rename ? I think this structure should be
> removed (in a future version)
> 2- header privatizations (removing tds.h dependency)
> this is quite important for future binary compatibility. Export
> limitation are committed and works.
> 3- cancel. We added a test, analyzed the problem but no code... We have
> two options: comment test or start coding.
> 4- prepared statement. There are some code (needed for Oracle bindings)
> to fetch data types after prepare. There are a lot of TODO (for
> optimizations and others problems). binary_test fails if compiled with
> --enable-developing.
> 5- ODBC data test fails for numeric, convert.c do not convert NUMERIC ->
> NUMERIC changing precision/scale, however it's a new feature so we can
> comment this part of test and place a TODO
> 6- ODBC testodbc test need some adjustement (Sybase compatibility and
> cursors handling)

These are all good things to do, but none of them is as important as
reporting errors correctly. Anyone relying on ODBC today risks not seeing
errors sent by the server. That's unacceptable in any serious
environment.

I would like to get some kind of fix out there as soon as possible,
because this is a sneaky problem. People are undoubtedly trusting ODBC to
work, and sooner or later someone's going to be disappointed.