freetds - Re: [freetds] short read during bcp?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] short read during bcp?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:16:34 -0500

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
wrote:
> I've noticed that the server tends to give up and drop the connection if
> there's something wrong with the packets during a bcp 'interchange'
> I guess it's because of the low-level nature of bcp.
> So I'd look for soemthing wrong with the packets we're sending for bcp,
> rather than the socket programming.

Thanks, Bill. I have to make a decision about an application in the next
few days: whether to parse & load the data simultaneously with two bcp
connections, or to write all the data to flat files and load them serially
with freebcp.

Am I the first guy to use bcp on more than one table at a time? I wonder
if there's some assumption in our code gets tripped up by two active
connections.

This isn't multithreaded or anything like that. The data source has
basically header-detail information; I read the record, write the header
to one table, and then iterate over the detail records, writing a row
apiece to the second table. We have many such applications, but none with
FreeTDS as yet.

I'll focus on the packet format, as you suggest. But, meantime, we do
have better socket-level complaints in the log. ;-)