freetds - Re: [freetds] toward installed documentation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] toward installed documentation
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:26:31 -0500

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
wrote:
> 1- "make dist" should work. This mean that if you use CVS version you
> NEED doxygen/docbook. However these tools shouldn't be needed for "make"
> and "make install"... This means that CVS users can build RPM with your
> stub files... not that cool, however we can just compile documentation
> explicitly in spec file.

I think I want "make dist" to work even if the documentation can't be
built. Perhaps --disable-docs? Tricky, to allow regular builds with or
without docs, but require docs for "make dist" unless it's configured not
to.

I sometimes want to create a distribution on a machine that has no DocBook
stuff.

> 2- if you change structure (CVS, install or both?) keep in mind that
> spec file need adjustements and tests too.

I don't intend to change the CVS structure. I might add something to
.cvsignore. The new directories hold outputs.

> 3- if you don't tar UG/reference you had to pack them untared. But this
> shouldn't be big problem...

Right. The source distributions will have intact trees of documentation,
and "make install" will simply move those trees to the PREFIX/share

> 4- some users perhaps wants multiple freetds version to be installed.
> Can this be a problem? Perhaps we should use doc/freetds-0.62/ instead
> of doc/freetds/ ?

Probably. Not only do we want multiple versions installed per machine,
but this is machine-independent data (directory might be NFS exported).
We should use the same name that the distribution unpacks into.