freetds - RE: [freetds] UCS-2, UTF-16...does it work?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] UCS-2, UTF-16...does it work?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:56:39 -0000

Il mer, 2003-12-10 alle 19:19, Rogers, Tom ha scritto:
> Sorry, I was trying to describe our macro strategy. Yes, for Linux/SQL 2K
> FreeTDS is our trump card and we are hoping that NVARCHAR/UCS-2 will work
> for us, though I have read the FAQ and users guide and see that it probably
> won't. I guess I am asking for current work-in-progress status for
> supporting UCS-2. Thanks.
>
> Thomas Rogers
> System Engineer
> Concurrent Computer Corporation

FAQ and UG are updated to current stable release (0.61.4), not current
developing. There are mainly two issues before release: documentation
and strange iconv implementations. We support NVARCHAR converting to a
Unix like charset (that's a single-byte of multibyte like UTF-8). We do
not provide to client the ability to use directly UCS-2.
Also only ODBC is able to support charset like UCS-2 however ODBC under
Unix do not support UCS-2 but wide characters (unixODBC try to emulate
Windows while iODBC use real wide characters).
So what support do you expect from FreeTDS? Be able to support all
characters you need (japanese, chinese and whatever) or you need a ODBC
wide character supports?