freetds - RE: [freetds] UCS-2, UTF-16...does it work?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] UCS-2, UTF-16...does it work?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:50:16 +0100

> We are looking at internationalizing a couple of our database
> products, one on SQL 2000 and another on Oracle 9i. We would
> like to use NVARCHAR and NVARCHAR2 respectively on those
> platforms and access the databases from Linux clients using FreeTDS.
>
> Will this work and if so, are there any gotchas? We need to
> support Japanese character sets for certain character string columns.

Hi Thomas!

Current CVS version support NVARCHAR (NVARCHAR2 do not exist in mssql,
FreeTDS support only sql server, not Oracle).
UTF-16 is not correctly supported however it not supported by mssql2k
too.

CVS version is quite stable but you have to use a GNU compatible iconv
to get all stuff working correctly (we are just fixing problems for
others iconv).