freetds - Re: [freetds] Newbie Install Questions

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Newbie Install Questions
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:06:47 +0100

On Nov 16, 2003, at 21:40, Duncan Boan wrote:

I have been unable to configure and install successfully.

Which version of FreeTDS are you trying to use?

I've successfully used every single release of FreeTDS since 0.53 on Red Hat Linux 7.3 (FreeTDS 0.53, 0.60, 0.61, 0.61.2, and the latest nightly snapshots of 0.62). 0.53 did cause a segmentation fault every once in a while, albeit rarely, and the later versions work rather well.

The config.log file contains numerous 'failed program' entries - I don't know whether that is normal or not.

I think it is. Mine has a couple as well, as do all config.logs. :)

I am running redhat 7.0. This is what I have done:
4. created an entry in freetds.conf for a spcified sql server using ip address and port 1443
6. ./tsql -H ip address -p 1443 -U my username -P

1443? MS SQL Server's default port is 1433 and Sybase's is something else.
Still, tsql would just say "Connection refused" and not cause a segfault.

5. export $SYBASE=/usr/local

Isn't this just resulting in an error message? Did you mean "export SYBASE=/usr/local"?

Anyway, I never defined a SYBASE environment value and tsql and everything else works just fine.

Thank you for any suggestions you may be able to provide!

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas, perhaps analyzing those core dumps might help. Use gdb on them.

So far everything you described is all normal - with the exceptions noted above -, so things should just work. I have FreeTDS running well on 5 different installations of Red Hat 7.3 and all worked flawlessly on the first try.

What other tools besides tsql did you try? What are the results?
Obviously you aren't setting up FreeTDS just to use tsql.

--
Daniel