freetds - Re: [freetds] Newbie Install Questions

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Newbie Install Questions
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:03:09 -0500

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Duncan Boan <dboan AT shaw.ca> wrote:

> I have been unable to configure and install successfully. ... When I try
> testing with tsql the only response I get is 'segmentation fault'.

I'm sorry to hear that, Duncan. These days, that's not a typical
experience, as far as I can tell.

> The config.log
> file contains numerous 'failed program' entries - I don't know whether
> that is normal or not.

It is. The configure tries many things to see what your system can do,
and part of that work includes finding out what it can't do.

Let's see your freetds.conf, and let's stick with TDS 7.0. What version
of FreeTDS are you using, btw?

Your ~/.freetds.conf needs just three lines:

[servername]
host = <server's hostname>
tds version = 7.0

That should do it. I assume you're using Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 or
later.

Can you "telnet hostname 1433"?

$ telnet myhost 1433
Trying 10.13.26.2...
Connected to myhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
^] # that's me, pressing ctrl-leftbracket
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

If you "export TDSDUMP=dump", does anything appear in the "dump" file
(after executing tsql)?

> 1. ./configure --with-tdsver=4.2 (I have also tried 7.0)

OK, use 7.0.

> 4. created an entry in freetds.conf for a spcified sql server using ip
>
> address and port 1443

Better to use hostname.

> 5. export $SYBASE=/usr/local

Not needed.

> 6. ./tsql -H ip address -p 1443 -U my username -P

Better to use hostname. No password?

The -H switch to tsql causes it to ignore freetds.conf. That means your
default TDS version has to be right, or set with the TDSVER environment
variable.